We’ve hand selected some of the most romantic places to go on holiday in the world! Use our destination ideas to inspire you for romantic couple’s getaways or the ultimate honeymoon. Decide together on a place that you’ll love! Instead of including Paris, Hawaii, Venice and many of the more obvious choices for a romantic holiday, we’ve chosen romantic places to go on holiday that you might not have considered. Try somewhere new and up and coming this year. 😊 Each destination has a variety of experiences, restaurants and hotel options that are perfectly suited to couples.
Lake Bled, Slovenia
When it comes to romantic places to go on holiday, sometimes you don’t need a whole country, or even a city to enjoy the company of your partner. Lake Bled in Slovenia is one of the most picturesque places we’ve ever seen and it’s beautiful to look at year-round. In the summer it’s a great place for nature trails, hiking and relaxing in the sunshine, whilst winter-time gives the lake a frosty makeover. It’s like something out of a fairy-tale! Wake up in a cosy lake-side cottage with your partner and enjoy each other’s company in nature.
Romantic things to do in Lake Bled:
- Take a boat out onto the lake and snap pictures together overlooking the beautiful island church.
- Hike the hills around Lake Bled to have a mini adventure together and capture stunningly romantic views of the lake and castle below.
- Book a cosy cottage by the lake and snuggle up in bed looking out at the scenery.
Our recommended Lake Bled hotels for couples:
Luxury: Vila Bled
Mid-range: Alp Pension
Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Bora Bora is an elusive Pacific Island destination. It shares the same tropical beach vibes of the likes of the Maldives and Mauritius but is far less frequented, probably due to the time it takes to get there. On-water bungalows, idyllic white-sand beaches and luxury experiences make Bora Bora a romantic retreat for any beach loving couple. It’s a romantic place to go on holiday due to its intimate accommodation, lack of crowds and variety of activities for lovers – there’s a good reason why it’s a top choice for newlyweds! If flying to Bora Bora from Europe, consider a stop-off on the way to reduce flight time.
Romantic things to do in Bora Bora:
- Book a private boat tour of the islands and spend a full day exploring with your partner. You’ll have entire beaches to yourselves!
- Take a helicopter ride over a heart shaped island called Tupai.
- Enjoy dinner under the stars in an exclusive restaurant. The lack of light pollution in Bora Bora gives you crystal-clear night skies.
Our recommended Bora Bora hotels for couples:
Mid-range: Maitai Polynesia Bora Bora
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Everyone is familiar with the romantic atmosphere of Venice; however, if you venture to the west coast of Italy, you have the more beautiful (in our opinion) Amalfi Coast. Rent a car with your loved one and explore Amalfi at your leisure, starting at the island of Capri for some time alone. Next, cruise down the coastline to towns such as Positano, Ravello and Amalfi. The cliffside scenery here is breath-taking and you’ll enjoy your mini adventure with each other. Tuck into a romantic evening meal under the stars, walk hand in hand down cobbled streets and fall in love once more in a country known for its romance.
Romantic things to do on the Amalfi Coast:
- Walk hand-in-hand through the colourful streets of Positano taking plenty of pictures.
- Rent a car and cruise along the winding coastal roads playing your favourite music and singing along.
- Enjoy a glass of wine with a view from one of the many terraced restaurants and apartments. You could even book an afternoon of wine tasting!
Our recommended Amalfi Coast hotels for couples:
Luxury: Il San Pietro di Positano
Mid-range: Hotel Marincanto
Bali is by no means an unknown place to go on holiday for romance and is a popular spot for honeymoons. However, we had to include it on our list as not many destinations come close for the sheer variety of romantic excursions and experiences that lovers can enjoy here. It’s very affordable too! Stay in your own beach-side villa with a pool all to yourself or wake up and gaze out and beautiful rice terraces. Activity-wise, private dining with a view, stunning sunsets and lots of couple’s adventure activities will ensure that you have the time of your life. We recommend visiting two or three regions of Bali for different romantic experiences. Ubud, Seminyak and Nusa Penida make the perfect combination.
Romantic things to do in Bali:
- Travel around the island in search for the most amazing sunsets. The sunset from the cliffs of Uluwatu, beaches of Seminyak and rice terraces of Ubud are charmingly romantic.
- Book a night in a super-luxurious resort or private villa with your own pool. Relax in each other’s company in ‘once in a lifetime’ surroundings.
- Indulge in a romantic evening meal on the terraces of Ubud or a candle-lit spot on a beach. Both experiences are unique and can be found throughout the island.
Our recommended Bali hotels for couples:
Thailand is often the go-to destination in South-East Asia for couples wanting a romantic honeymoon by the beach. Whilst Thailand is awesome, it can be a little touristic. Head south to the island paradise of Philippines and you have less explored islands and beaches that’ll feel a lot more secluded for you and your partner. Stay in remote beach towns, explore by boat, and generally have an adventure that’ll you’ll remember for the rest of your life. Philippines remains one of our favourite countries for spectacular scenery and a romantic holiday here provides a good mix of relaxation with adventure. We recommend visiting the islands of Palawan for first timers and couples.
Romantic things to do in Palawan, Philippines:
- Stay in your own private villa on a remote island and wake up to a view of the shore every morning. Beach camping is an excellent and more affordable alternative.
- Enjoy a private dinner on the beach under the moonlight.
- Watch the sunset on the beach with a happy hour cocktail. Cosy bars with fairy lights and bean bags are a romantic setting to end your day.
Our recommended Palawan hotels for couples:
Maldives and Sri Lanka
The Maldives is an island nation home to some of the most spectacular beach resorts on earth. On-water bungalows, beach villas and huge resorts compete for the best honeymoon accommodation and they all cater to couples. A holiday in the Maldives welcomes plenty of beach-time with wining and dining, but you also have the option to navigate the turqoise seas. It’s one of the best places in the world for marine life and scuba diving makes a great bonding activity. In addition to the white-sand beaches of the Maldives, we recommend combining your trip with neighbouring Sri Lanka. This cultural and colourful island is a cool contrast to the luxury beach life of your first destination. Maldives provides luxurious relaxation, whilst Sri Lanka is a melting pot of culture and sightseeing.
Romantic things to do in Sri Lanka and Maldives:
- Book a couples pamper day. A massage on the beach, private swimming pool and a refreshing facial will rejuvenate you both.
- Dine in the underwater aquarium Ithaa restaurant and indulge in a romantic meal alongside tropical fish.
- Soar to the skies of Sri Lanka in a couple’s hot air balloon ride.
Our recommended Maldives hotels for couples:
Luxury: Kanuhura – Maldives
Mid-range: Samann Grand
Our recommended Sri Lanka hotels for couples:
Luxury: Reef Villa & Spa
Mid-range: Karpaha Sands
Geirangerfjord or Bergen, Norway
Norway may strike you as an unusual choice for romantic places to go on holiday compared to our other beach-filled destinations, but hear us out. If you’re a couple that loves being in nature, sharing long walks and road trips together without anyone else in sight, the countryside of Norway could be for you. Stay in quirky treehouse accommodation in a forest, your own lake-side hut or another one of the country’s cool places to stay. Norway’s spectacular scenery will blow you away! You’ll uncover the majestic Fjords, vast mountain ranges and lakes without anyone else in site. Away from the cities, you’ll be able to look up at the stars in the clear night’s sky. We recommend flying into Bergen, staying a few nights in this quint town and then travelling north to the Fjord’s of Geirangerfjord.
Romantic things to do in Bergen and Geirangerfjord:
- Cruise between the mighty Fjords on a boat trip for a breathtakingly romantic background to your photos.
- Stay in a cottage or quirky wooden hut in the middle of the countryside and get cosy beside the fire.
- Camp outdoors one evening and try to catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights, or the stars of a clear night-sky.
Our recommended Geirangerfjord hotels for couples:
Luxury: Grande Fjord Hotel
Mid-range: Grande Hytteutleige og Camping
Our recommended Bergen hotels for couples:
Luxury: Opus XVI
Mid-range: Hotel Oleana
Mostar (Bosnia and Herzegovina) and Dubrovnik (Croatia)
You’ve probably seen pictures of the famous bridge in Mostar, not previously knowing where it is. The town sits to the south of Bosnia and Herzegovina and is one of the most romantic places to go on holiday that we’ve visited. Small, colourful houses, castle turrets and a turquoise river all add to the fairy-tale surroundings on offer in town. Capture romantic photos with the Old Bridge as a background or explore town hand-in-hand with your loved one. We recommend visiting Mostar as a city break, but you can also get there from Dubrovnik in Croatia. Combine both towns for the ultimate romantic getaway.
Romantic things to do in Mostar and Dubrovnik:
- Climb to the top of Koski Mehmet Pasha Mosque for the best view of Mostar. It’s the perfect spot for romantic photos together.
- Book a Croatian wine tasting tour. Sitting back in the beautiful countryside with your partner are what couple’s holidays are all about.
- Hop the Croatian islands on a small boat tour or private yacht.
Our recommended Mostar hotels for couples:
Luxury: Hotel Mepas
Mid-range: Eden Hotel & Spa
Our recommended Dubrovnik hotels for couples:
Luxury: Hotel Bellevue Dubrovnik
Mid-range: Royal Blue Hotel
Explore a remote Greek island
Santorini and Mykonos are known across the planet for being romantic holiday destinations for couples and are a top choice for honeymoons. Whilst these islands are beautiful, we encourage you to seek romance away from Santorini, in favour of less crowded, more affordable Greek Islands that have a more local culture. Islands such as Hydra, Milos and Rhodes are our recommended romantic places to go on holiday and your budget will stretch much further here. Experience Greek dancing, white-stone luxury hotels and splendid scenery that lives and breathes exactly what life in the Mediterranean is all about. There’s plenty to see and do on each island and you’ll make memories together without having to wait in line at overcrowded photo spots.
Romantic things to do on the Greek islands:
- Rent a small boat and explore the tiny offshore islands at your leisure. Sunbathe, swim and enjoy each other’s company at sea.
- Go wine or cocktail tasting at sunset. The sunsets on the Greek islands are some of the most romantic in the world…
- Stay in a cliff-side hotel or apartment and overlook the famous white-washed buildings associated with the Mediterranean. Rent your own mini villa with pool to take it to the next level!
St Lucia, The Caribbean
We could have chosen any Caribbean Island and it would have had a tempting allure for couples on a romantic holiday. We decided on St Lucia for a number of reasons. One, it’s one of the most luxurious honeymoon spots for newlyweds. The variety of romantic luxury villas and resorts on the island is tough to beat! Secondly, not only does it have idyllic white-sand beaches, the surrounding tropical scenery and mountains sets the scene for a paradise retreat you’d struggle to find elsewhere. The scenery is simply gorgeous. St Lucia is a little more expensive than neighbouring islands but it’s unrivalled for romance seekers…
Romantic things to do in St Lucia:
- Take a romantic sunset cruise and sip champagne whilst looking out at the horizon.
- Stop by Sulphur Springs Park for a mud bath. Have a good laugh covering your partner in volcanic muds and clays. They’re also great for the skin!
- Kick back on a hammock and have plenty of beach time in your own secluded corner of the beach. Caribbean life is all about relaxation (and rum – you’ll always have rum!).
Our recommended St Lucia hotels for couples:
Luxury: Anse Chastanet
Mid-range: Villa Beach Cottages
We hope we’ve helped inspire you with some beautiful romantic places to go on holiday. Some of the destinations are more expensive to visit than others but you’ll find accommodation options for all budgets wherever you go. If you’re looking for the best value for money, consider staying in South-East Asia or Central America. South-East Europe is also a great option!
For tips on travelling with your partner, check out our guide here. It can be applied for couples at any stage of their relationship.