We were fortunate enough to spend 14 nights in the luxurious 5-star, Cascade Wellness Resort in Lagos. We had such a memorable stay at the Cascade and wanted to share our thoughts and provide a bit more information about the hotel, if you’re planning to stay in this stunning resort.
Our accommodation option of choice was one of their 2 bed self-catering apartments, which are located just a few minutes’ walk from the main hotel area. We hope you find our guide and review to the Cascade Wellness Resort useful. Please leave a comment down below if you have any questions and want to find out more.😊
Located right on the coast of Lagos to the west of the Algarve, Cascade Wellness Resort is in one of the most stunning locations for a hotel! It’s an ideal place to stay if you want to be within a 10-minute drive from Lagos town but far enough away to have peace and quiet away from the hustle and bustle. Being nestled away comes with its own benefits, with a beach just a stone throw away. It has a 4.5-star rating on TripAdvisor with over 1300 reviews and one of the top 10 places to stay in Lagos! After staying in various hotels around Lagos, Cascade Wellness Resort had, without a doubt, the best location.
We arrived at the Cascade Wellness Resort late at night around 11pm after collecting our rental car from Faro airport. It took us just over an hour to drive to the resort and was a very pleasant journey. If you’re not planning on hiring a car, you can organise a transfer directly with the hotel prior to arriving, or a transfer taxi. Please do ensure you pre-book in advance, as the summer months can get quite busy.
Upon arrival at the hotel, we checked in at reception, which was a really smooth process. They handed us the keys to our apartment and took the time to explain the key features of the resort, breakfast opening hours, location of the fitness centre etc. We were also given a free drink voucher that we could have at any time during our stay – we thought it was a lovely extra touch!
The hotel receptionists offered to take us to our apartment by the hotel’s golf, but as it was just a 1-minute drive away, so we drove there ourselves for ease.
Everything from the drive-in entrance to the hotel to the lobby is very grandeur, giving you a great first impression of the hotel.
Reception and lobby:
The reception area of the hotel is the possibly the most breath-taking part of the hotel. It’s an open planned lobby area with marble flooring, artistic paintings and a stunning chandelier that’s placed right in the centre of reception. It’s a very welcoming area, where you can speak to reception. They’ll happily help you with any queries you may have and we found the staff to be very friendly. You can walk down the stairs and onward to the hotel rooms, spa and pool areas, or just chill out around the lobby area after a long afternoon in the sun.
Cascade Wellness Resort Rooms
We decided to book one of their self-catering apartments for the entire duration of our stay. It was primarily due to the fact that we were staying for a long period of time in Lagos (and didn’t want to fully indulge and gain 2+ stone) and we also enjoy the flexibility of being able to cook meals whenever you want.
Please note that the Cascade Wellness Resort has around 400 rooms in the main hotel, including double rooms with either a pool or sea view, suites, grand suites or master suites. Depending on what you’re looking for during your stay, you can either stay in one of the hotel rooms, or a self-catering apartment like we did. As we stayed in a self-catering apartment, we can only comment on our experience here. If you want to find out more information about the hotel rooms, you can check out various reviews on TripAdvisor.
Key room features (self-catering apartments)
Luckily for us, we were upgraded from a 1-bed apartment to a 2-bed apartment, which was incredibly spacious. The bonus of staying in any apartment is that they’re usually larger than hotel rooms. This was definitely the case here!
What definitely sets the Cascade Wellness Resort above the rest and evident to its 5-star status is the added extras. We received travel sized bottles of L’Occitane shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, which room service kept on re-filling when we ran out. It was such a wonderful touch. The apartment also had L’Occitane hand wash and shower gel in the shower / bath.
Some of the key features of the 2-bed apartment are:
- Large balcony area with a table, chairs and sun loungers (and a rooftop deck) with a view
- Large living room area with a comfortable L-shape sofa
- Dining table and six chairs
- A fully equipped kitchen (saucepans, cutlery, kettle, toaster, Nespresso coffee machine, bowls, plates, cups, mugs etc)
- X3 bathrooms. The main bathroom had a spa bath, and the other bathroom had a step-in waterfall shower
- Spacious living area and plenty of storage
- Complimentary bottles of water that were topped up on a daily basis
One thing to look out for is the mini bar. There were 4 Nespresso coffee pods in the kitchen in a case, and unknowingly we made ourselves a coffee and the next day received a note from the cleaner saying we owed 3 euros. It would have been a good idea to have a note inside the box with prices, as guests could mistake these for being complimentary (which you could expect for a 5-star resort).
1-bedroom apartment – 1-bed apartments are much like a 2-bed apartment, but they sit on the ground floor. Expect the same great quality and amenities but with slightly less space. 1-bed apartments have an outdoor garden area to enjoy.
Our top tips for booking an apartment at the Cascade Wellness Resort
- Ask reception if you can have an apartment on the 1st floor. As the apartments are near gardens, they can sometimes attract insects. An apartment near the pool area is also preferable.
- Request an apartment with a pool view for the best views. It’ll give you quick and easy access to the pool and will be able to people watch to your hearts content.
- Ahead of booking, be sure to compare prices on different sites to ensure you get the best price. We used Booking.com and managed to get an extremely good deal!
The swimming pools:
Being a large resort, the hotel boasts 3 outdoor pools, each offering something unique.
There’s a main pool that’s the largest of all three pools. It’s located in the hotel section of the resort and has some amazing views of the coastline. It’s within easy access of a bar and restaurant and many of the hotel’s rooms have direct access. There are also plenty of sunbeds with parasols, but being the most popular pool, we recommend arriving early for the best lounger locations.
The second pool is located near the self-catering apartments and is only few minutes’ walk away from the main pool. It’s a little bit smaller than the main pool and mainly attracts families with young children due to the unique sand area that’s part of the pool. Our favourite feature of this pool is the infinity-edge that overlooks the golf course. Next to the pool, there’s a pool bar where you can enjoy daytime drinks and snacks.
Adult’s only spa pool
Finally, the third pool is located outside the spa area of the resort. It’s a smaller pool but the huge advantage is that it’s heated (which is more than welcome, as Portugal is known for its pools being a bit cold!). It’s a great place to chill out and is adults only, so you can expect tranquillity and peace relaxation here.
Note: Next to all swimming pools, you’ve find baskets to collect fresh towels and then discard them once you’ve finished with them.
If you’re looking a day of relaxation after all that walking and want to rewind and treat yourself, the Cascade Wellness Resort has a wonderful spa area that’s open to all guests that stay at the resort. Some spa facilities are included free of charge, others are paid for.
A sauna, steam room, ice bath and Turkish bath can all be booked in advance through your room telephone or at the spa reception. They’re completely free. If you want to push the boat out and go all out, you can spoil your loved one (or yourself) to a Cascade spa treatment. They offer treatments such as massages, manicures, pedicures and facials.
Whilst some people go on holiday to rest and to take a well-deserved break from most forms of physical activity, you may want to go for a morning workout on the treadmill or do some weightlifting. It’s a great way to stay in shape after all those extra calories! The gym is located just opposite the main hotel building and is open to both hotel guests and the public. The gym has only recently opened so all the equipment is brand new. They have complimentary bottles of water too, which is a great added touch!
Wellness FITNESS activities
If you don’t want to head to the gym, the resort offers some great fitness activities too. They have boot camp sessions that are run by personal trainers, that take place right outside the hotel, overlooking the beach. They also offer yoga classes for those who want to channel inner chakra, and even a football camp. The receptionists gave us a timetable for the activities, which all need booked and incur extra charges.
Other hotel activities
‘Wellness’ is in the hotel’s name and it does it extremely well. We were amazed at the sheer number of activities and facilities they had! Here are some of the highlights:
Driving range, putting green and golf course
The Algarve is renowned for its golf course resorts and the Cascade didn’t disappoint. They have a large driving range that’s located at the back of the hotel near the spa, where you can bring along your own gear and practice your driving. Alternatively, you can rent some clubs from reception. Next to the driving range is a small putting green and a small golf course.
The Cascade Resort has 2 tennis courts that are located just a couple minutes’ walk away from the hotel grounds. If you already own equipment, you can use the courts free of charge and simply collect the keys to the courts from reception. However, you can also borrow a couple of rackets and balls for 15 euros. It makes a fun early morning or late afternoon activity with friends or family!
Located next to the apartment villas and next to the family infinity pool there’s a volleyball court that you can use free of charge. It’s a fun activity for friends and family if you want to have a break from the hot Portuguese sun! We didn’t use the volleyball court but we assume that you can rent a ball at reception, as with the other activities.
Bars and restaurants
The hotel boasts 3 high-end restaurants that are open for both lunch and evening meals. There’s also a main bar that serves light bites throughout the day and delicious cocktails in the evening, and two smaller pool bars.
The 3 main restaurants are:
Senses restaurant is located on the first floor, next door to the main reception. It provides you with a fine dining experience and you can even book in with the chefs table for that special occasion. Senses is only open for dinner. Booking isn’t necessary in the quieter months, but if you’re traveling out in the peak months, we recommend reserving a table. We found the food to be of high quality and the atmosphere was very romantic.
Located right next to Senses in the main hotel lobby, The Gastropub is attached to the hotel bar. It has an incredibly cosy, yet relaxed vibe and offers both indoor and outdoor seating. They serve traditional Portuguese dishes, to worldwide classics such as steak and burgers. The Gastropub is open for both lunch and dinner.
Mundi the hotel’s main buffet restaurant that gains inspiration from across the globe, from traditional Portuguese dining to tasty Asian food. The restaurant has a very informal feel to it inside, so you’ll be able to relax eat all that you can handle! It’s where you’ll enjoy breakfast each morning and can grab a bite to eat whilst chilling at the main pool. We enjoyed the ‘Al Fresco’ outdoor seating. It’s a nice place to drink your morning coffee. 😊
The Lighthouse Bar
Other important things to note about Cascade Wellness Resort
- There’s a small carpark just outside the main hotel reception but it does get full quite quickly, especially in the summer months. For those that are staying in self-catered apartments, you can park outside your apartment on the road, or in your private underground parking space. There’s also a spacious underground car park inside of the main hotel building.
- The resort has 24-hour reception service; you can either speak to them in person or call them from your room phone. They’re extremely quick in helping you with any queries or requests that you may have. Room service is also available 24/7.
- There’s Wi-Fi connection in and around the hotel and by the swimming pools, so you can still feel connected with the world wherever you are. The Wi-Fi password will be provided to you on a card upon arrival. We managed to work throughout our stay and found the internet speeds to be very good.
- The hotel is located right on the cliffside of one of the most stunning locations, Ponta da Piedade, which is only a 15-minute walk away. There are also walking paths along the hotel front which will lead you to Praia do Camilo, which is around a 20-minute walk away. It’s easy to get to and good for those who don’t have a car.
Check out our Lagos travel guide for inspiration on some of the best things to do and places to see in the area.
Our overall thoughts on the Cascade Wellness Resort, Lagos
There are no bad things to say about our stay at Cascade Wellness Resort, and we thoroughly enjoyed spending two weeks in luxury. We’ve highlighted the positives and some small suggestions for improvements based on our personal experience at the resort. Please note that these are personal thoughts and may be different for other guests 😊
- The apartment we stayed at was incredibly spacious and felt like a home from home. The quality of the furniture was great (especially the large, L-shape sofa!)
- The resort boasts a ton of facilities, which are great fun no matter your age! The Cascade definitely lives up to its true wellness retreat reputation. It’s a great place to stay if you’re active and enjoy keeping fit on holiday.
- We loved the fact that they provided luxury toiletries (Locating). They were complimentary and filled up after use. It was a great added touch and saved us buying our own!
- The hotel provided us with free water bottles on a daily basis. We weren’t sure initially if they were complimentary or not, but soon found out that they were. Again, it was a really nice added touch.
- Last but certainly not least, we have to say that the location of the hotel is in one of the best locations you could ever ask for!
- Portugal is known for its cooler pools, and whilst it’s nice to take a dip and cool off, the pools were quite cold to swim in on most days, particularly when the temperature hovered around the early 20s. It would have been good if the main two pools were heated, just like the spa pool, to make it more enjoyable. We visited during the summer and still found them cold.
- We were fortunate enough to have a large outdoor balcony area and a rooftop during our stay. However, the outside area could have done with some extra maintenance as it appeared a bit run-down and need of some TLC.
- Rooms and apartments have Nespresso coffee machines but charge 2 euros per coffee. For the small cost to the hotel, we thought amenities such as this should be free.
Our overall score out of 5
We really enjoyed our stay at Cascade Wellness Resort Lagos and the experience was truly spectacular. Taking all of the things above in consideration, we’d rate the overall experience a 4/5.
We hope you enjoyed our complete guide to the Cascade Wellness Resort and hopefully it helped answer any of your questions. If you have further questions, then please feel free to leave a comment down below or send us an email.
You can also check out our article on the top things to do in The Algarve during your stay here. Our Lagos travel guide here is also a must read if you do decide to visit the Cascade Wellness Resort Lagos.
By SusieAuthor bio:
I’m a passionate traveller that loves a sunny beach holiday, but also appreciate the cultural side to a trip and checking out undiscovered destinations. I’m the go-to Toucan Traveller for great holiday stories, cool photos and foodie recommendations.